ARTICLE I - ELECTION OF MEMBERS
1. The standardized on-line electronic application form for active membership must be submitted to the central office of ISS/SIC. The application will be forwarded to the Secretary/Treasurer of IATSIC. The application form must be accompanied by a current curriculum vitae and include ten most important publications or the list of the last 5 years, as well as e-mail addresses of two sponsors, who must be members of ISS/SIC, with at least one being a member of IATSIC. Copies will be sent to the two sponsors to provide their confirmation by e-mail. The membership committee shall review the application and make a recommendation for membership. The committee has the right to accept or reject application for membership in the association. Once the application has been approved, the IATSIC office shall process all relevant documentation and inform the new member and the ISS/SIC office accordingly.
2. Candidates for honorary membership shall be proposed in writing to the Executive Committee through the Secretary/ Treasurer. The Executive Committee will elect honorary members in accordance with the same procedure regarding active membership.
ARTICLE II - OFFICERS / COUNCILS
1. The President, President-Elect, and Secretary/Treasurer of the association shall be elected for a term of two (2) years. The term of the Secretary/Treasurer may be renewed biennially for a maximum term of six (6) years (three (3) meetings). The Editor of the WORLD JOURNAL OF SURGERY (WJS), if appointed, and IATSIC representative to the WJS will remain council members until their term as editor and member of the editorial board ends. The President shall be a surgeon.
2. The Secretary/Treasurer shall keep minutes of the meetings and actions of the association, the council, and the Executive Committee and conduct the correspondence of the association. This office will issue to all members a written and electronic report of the preceding year's transactions to be read to the Executive Committee and membership at the biennial assembly. The Secretary/Treasurer shall monitor all monies and funds belonging to the association and report to the Executive annually and at the biennial assembly meeting. The Secretary/Treasurer will prepare a financial report for audit and presentation at the biennial assembly.
ARTICLE III - COMMITTEES / AD HOC COMMITTEES
There shall be five (5) standing and ad hoc (as needed) committees/subcommittees of the association:
1. Membership Committee: President, President-Elect, Secretary/Treasurer, and immediate Past-President. The immediate Past-President shall serve as Chair.
2. Nomination Committee: President, President-Elect, three (3) Past-Presidents, Secretary/Treasurer, and two (2) members from the council appointed by the President. The President shall serve as Chair.
3. Program Committee: President-Elect, President, immediate Past-President, Secretary/Treasurer, and the IATSIC representative to WJS. The President-Elect shall serve as Chair.
4. Education Committee: The Chair, appointed by the Executive Committee for a two (2) year term, President-Elect, and chairs of all Educational subcommittees and ad hoc subcommittees. Under the Education Committee shall be the DSTC (Definitive Surgical Trauma Care course) Committee. This shall be administered by a DSTC Executive Committee consisting of the Chair of the DSTC Committee, Chair-elect of the DSTC Committee, and immediate Past Chair of the DSTC Committee. Each shall be appointed by the IATSIC Executive Committee and serve a two (2) year term. The immediate Past Chair of the DSTC Committee shall serve as the Chair of the Education Committee for a two (2) year term. There shall be a DSTC Council consisting of the editor of the DSTC Manual and the heads of all active national DSTC programs. Underneath the DSTC Committee shall be the Definitive Anesthesia Trauma Care course (DATC) subcommittee. The Chair of the DSTC Committee shall be a surgeon.
5. Ad Hoc Committee(s)/Sub-Committees: Ad Hoc committees and sub-committees can be created to facilitate a specific activity of the association. The chair of an Ad Hoc committee or sub-committee will be appointed by the Executive Committee of the organization. The Chair of an ad hoc committee or sub-committee will propose the other members of the committee, who must be active members of IATSIC, to the Executive Committee for approval. The Chair of an ad hoc committee or sub-committee shall report their activity to the Executive Committee annually and to the IATSIC General Assembly during the biennial congress. The decision to create or terminate the activity of an ad hoc committee or sub-committee must be approved by a majority of those present at the business meeting at the biennial congress. The members of ad hoc committees / subcommittees shall be nominated at the biennial meeting for a two (2) year term, renewable for two (2) additional two (2) year terms.
ARTICLE IV - MEETINGS
1. A biennial assembly of the association shall be held at the time and place to be determined by the ISS/SIC.
2. During the biennial assembly, there shall be a meeting of the Executive Committee and a business session of the membership in attendance. The business of the association shall be conducted at this time. The report of the Nominating Committee shall be presented to the membership during the business session. Nominations may be made from the floor. Officers of the association and council members shall be elected by a majority vote of the members present.
ARTICLE V - FEES / DUES
1. Dues and assessments shall be established by the General Assembly of the ISS/SIC.
2. Any member whose dues remain unpaid for a period of one year shall be so informed by the Executive Secretary of the ISS/SIC. The non-payment of dues for two consecutive years may be grounds for dismissal from the association. Subscription to World Journal of Surgery will be suspended after the second reminder for owed annual dues. Payment in full of all back dues will reactivate membership to normal status.
ARTICLE VI - RESIGNATIONS / EXPULSIONS
1. Resignation of members in otherwise good standing shall be accepted by majority vote of the Executive Committee.
2. Charges of unprofessional or unethical conduct against any member of the association must be submitted in writing to the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee's concurrence or disallowance of the charges shall be presented to the membership at the biennial assembly business session. A three-fourths affirmative vote of the members present shall be required for expulsion.
ARTICLE VII - QUORUM
The members present shall constitute a quorum at the biennial assembly to effect changes in the constitution and bylaws of the association, to make assessments, to authorise appropriations or expenditures of money other than those required in routine business of the association, to elect officers and members, to expel members, and to transact other business that may come forward.
ARTICLE VIII - ALTERATIONS/REPEALS
The association may alter/repeal any bylaw of this constitution by a three-fourths affirmative vote of the members present at the biennial business meeting, provided a copy of the proposed change(s) has been delivered to each accessible member at least 60 days in advance of the business meeting.
ARTICLE IX - PROCEDURE
Proceedings of the association shall be conducted under Robert's "Rules of Order".